Saturday 28 March 2015

DLC, Expansion packs, Pre order bonuses and all that s**t

Gaming is an expensive hobby, fact. Console games now cost £49.99...but that isn't the final cost for most games anymore. If you're relatively young DLC is probably the norm for you but us slightly older ladies and gentleman remember a more simple time. Let us go back in time.


Late 1998 I was introduced to one of my favourite games of all time, Baldurs Gate on the PC. At the time I believe it cost me about £30, If I was being truly honest my PC wasn't good enough to run it so I played it at a friends house. I won't go into detail about the game but it was engaging, difficult, full of things to do and had a decent sized campaign. This was my first introduction to an expansion pack (I guess early name for DLC), Tales of the sword coast was released in April 1999 and added roughly 30 hours extra game play to the original game. The key point I want to make here is that it didn't directly impact the main storyline/campaign.



Fast forward to 10th April 2015. Evolve was released to absolute uproar when DLC was available the day of release. Gone are they days games cost only the amount you pay for the actual game. At the time of writing, buying Evolve with all add-ons and passes would cost you a massive £68.68 (two and fraction a Baldurs Gates for you budding mathematicians!). Almost £70 for a game that, if truth be told, isn't technically finished. Are developers under too much pressure to meet a deadline that they throw out an unfinished product? Or do they know we will lap up everything they throw at us and see the big £££ signs?

I can't just pick on Evolve, pretty much all new releases do it now. Battlefield: Hardline has been released with a standard and a deluxe edition, the latter giving you access to more equipment. Mortal Kombat promises you bonus characters if you preorder and has DLC ready to sell on release date.



I don't necessarily have a problem with new content but some games now push for you to buy the content by locking parts of the game down, my previous article about Destiny is a key example. Call of Duty gives us maps from previous games, Rock Band/Guitar Hero bleed us dry with extra songs.

The way things are going it seems to me that if you don't get the content you put yourself at a huge disadvantage. Not just because you miss out on new features but in some games spending more money gives you an advantage over the competition.

Whichever way you look at it DLC is here to stay and will more than likely keep growing in price but what can we do, stop playing games in protest?

@joe_copson

No comments:

Post a Comment